One of the products I hope to have the opportunity to try over Christmas is Melvita which is an all natural organic skincare line based out of France. The eco-friendly company was founded by beekeeper and biologist Bernard Chevilliat in 1983, and is both certified by Cosmebio and Ecocert. Melvita also has an amazing staff working behind the scenes.
Recently Melvita’s North American Marketing Director Julie Airenti, was kind enough to answer a few questions for The Green Stylist.
Can you tell me a little about the Melvita brand?
France’s pioneer in certified organic beauty, Melvita boasts over 300 products in its top-to-toe beauty range, where every product is certified organic by ECOCERT. Offering premium, ecological, everyday care for the whole family, with the range extending from Face through to Bath, Shower and Daily Care categories, Melvita provides an organic solution to every beauty need.
In what way does the company make an effort to “promote ethical, humane, a
Melvita complies with all ethical criteria for fair trade: fair prices when purchasing raw materials, preservation of biodeversity in the environment, as well as responsible farming.
Can you tell me about your company’s founder?
Melvita was founded in 1983 on the site of a bee farm, deep in the countryside of the Ardèche Gorges, France, by biologist Bernard Chevilliat. He was fascinated by bees and the vital role they play in the ecosystem, and so developed the first Melvita skin care range based on products from the hive. Bernard’s passion for beekeeping was the inspiration behind the brand and it was this love of nature and the unspoilt countryside combined with his knowledge of biology that enabled him to develop personal care products as close as possible to nature.
How important is the use of organic ingredients?
At Melvita being organic is who we are. Each product is created to exceed the high standards set by ECOCERT France. These organic standards insure that:
- At least 95% of the total ingredients are natural (water included)
- At least 10% of the total ingredients are organic (water included)
- At least 95% of the total plant-based ingredients are organic
Water, seaweed, and sea salt are not organically certifiable by ECOCERT.
Are most of the ingredients used in your products sourced locally?
All of our products are made in the countryside of the Ardeche Gorges in Lagorce, France at our state-of-the-art production facility. Our facility is the first of its kind to implement the highest standards of using sustainable resources and works everyday to make the tiniest of footprints on our delicate planet.
Our Green Facility boasts a green roof to naturally “air condition” the offices, Lightwells to eliminate artificial light sources, waste water treatment systems equipped with plant filters, solar water heaters for production, and wool and brick insulation.
Melvita has always claimed an attachment to nature and natural diversity. “Everything that is natural is ours” is one of our slogans. Our original motto is a quote from a biologist: “To be sure of the truth, we should always return to the natural”. This is why we have always used a wide range of very different natural active ingredients harvested from plants or bees and have not favored any one to the detriment of the others. We are committed to using the finest ingredients from organically farmed and responsibly harvested sources, with respect of nature being our priority.
What are some of your best sellers?
- Our Award-Winning anti-aging Youthful Skin Cream which is part of our Naturlaift line. This was the only organic face moisturizer to be honored in the Anti-Aging Beauty Bible in the Anti-Aging Miracle Cream category.
- Our Extra-Rich Hand cream perfect for dry and damaged hands. Aloe Vera, shea and cocoa butters soothe and smooth, while argan and hazel nut oils repair damaged skin.
- Our refreshing Rose Floral Water, obtained by distillation of organic Rosa Damascena petals. Rose Floral Water is naturally astringent to help regulate sebum production as well as prevents the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
- Our Fair-Trade Argan Oil. The well know Moroccan miracle oil can be used form head to toe. Its properties help moisturize and protect dry skin, reduce age spots and repair damaged hair.
Can you tell me a little about Melvita’s Fashion Island one-year anniversary celebration on Thursday, October 20?
In celebration of our 1-year anniversary, we threw a party to thank our customers and local community for all of the support they have given us over the past year. We had live music, delicious bites from Le Pain Quotidien and wonderful promotions and goodies for all attendees.
Can you tell me about some of your company’s new products and what makes them unique compared to other products on the market?
In November we launched our NEW Apicosma Body Range which is part of our heritage honey based line. The new collection of body products contains our innovative and unique “3 Honey Complex”; a synergy of ingredients proven to treat the causes of dry and delicate skin.
Thyme, Acacia and Orange Blossom honeys have been blended to create the “3 Honey Complex” which has been clinically proven to act at 3 levels addressing the causes of dryness and repairing skin barrier functions.
The Apicosma range is proven to replenish lost nutrients, thicken the epidermis, and strengthen the skin with its unique patented complex, to nourish and transform dry skin. The new products include: the Apicosma Ultra-Nourishing Body Balm, Apicosma skin-softening Body Milk, and the Apicosma Extra-Rich Hand Cream.
For anyone who is not familiar with Melvita, what are three products you suggest they try?
- Melvita has 24 different beauty oils that address a variety of beauty needs. From oils that help with anti-aging, radiance, sun repair and much more it is hard to choose just one. For a first time customer the Argan Oil would definitely be the best choice, great for face, body and hair this multi-use oil is the perfect addition to a beauty routine.
- The Naturalift anti-aging Youthful Skin Cream. This award winning youth-restoring cream softens lines and wrinkles and has an immediate smoothing effect on the skin. The highly moisturizing extract of wild Beech buds, rich in flavonoids and polyphenols, energizes the skin’s microrelief, whilst the oligopeptides in the Hibiscus seeds help to reduce the appearance of expression lines.
- Apicosma Extra-Rich Hand Cream- with its new innovative 3-honey complex this cream is a savior for dry damaged hand this winter.